health Uncategorized

Myomectomy Surgery Journal: Post-surgery

I am soooo sorry.. I didn’t get to do a blog the week of my surgery. nor the week after..

I had my surgery November 30th 2009. I was at Royal Victoria Hospital in Montreal, Canada. The whole staff was very professional and so nice. I was able to have a Abdominal Myomectomy surgery with Dr. Buckett (I’m giving you his name because he is the best).

The procedure was somewhat simple.. well for me at least. I was in full anesthesia (fully asleep, yessss!!!), so I was not aware of anything that was happening to me or what was done exactly. Before my surgery I was told that probably 4 to 5 fibroids would be removed for sure and 2 cystes in the ovaries. Before the surgery, I did not eat at all from the night before, and I was only able to drink CLEAR liquid (water, apple juice..etc..)..  I read the instruction paper, missing out the part where it said CLEAR!! So, when I got to the hospital (early at 6h30am which was my call in time), while I got changed and went to the operating room, one of the nurse or physician there (there was so many people you meet at the same time, it was a bit overwhelming), she asked me if I had only CLEAR LIQUID.. well I told her I only took a very tiny sip of the ARIZONA FRUIT PUNCH, they all looked at me scared and asked my what type of juice, if it had pulp etc..  I told and reassure them that it was a very tiny sip, just to moisture my lips and no pulp at 5am . So they took me to the operating room… If I had dranked more, they would’ve had to postpone the operation.

The only thing I remember before they put me to sleep, was that there was about 10 people around me, putting needles in my hands, strap my arms on the bed, preparing the equipment for the operation; I got a bit scared, so I started to pray. I told God that whatever is happening now, it is in HIS hands… next thing I know mask was on my face and I fell asleep.

When I woke up I was in another room, a new hospital jacket on me and I remember feeling very light, as if I was in heaven, I woke up actually smiling to the nurses around me. I remember feeling very thirsty… I was sooo afraid to look at my stomach because they have told me at first that the incision would be done vertically through my stomach, so I didn’t look. They took me to my room, switch beds and they gave me instructions on how to use the morphine shots, which was controlled. Every 7 minutes I was able to inject myself a new shot just by pressing a button. I guess that was a pretty big surgery I had, I know the intervals between shots varies depending of the pain they think you will have; I didn’t want to get the epidural injection, even though they said it won’t paralyze me.. NO WAY.

My mom was there through the whole process with me, so I was very grateful. She took the day off to be there for me, I owe her sooo much (teary eyes)… She was with me from morning through the evening. My dad came through as well to see if I was okay, and my brother, my cousin, my closest friends who could make it came through or called my brother to show their support, or txt or left messages on my cell, or even sent emails messages (which I was able to read after)… I am blessed(more teary eyes)!!!

I was not able to eat anything the first day.. ice only (barely water) and I peed through a tube that goes into a small plastic bag (forgot the name of it) which I barely felt in my body, so I pretty much didn’t do anything but laying in bed. Every 2 hours, a nurse or auxiliary nurse came to see me (during the night it was every 4 hours).

The good thing about the hospital stay: I was able to stay in the hospital for 4 days, the food was okay, I was pretty much able to eat anything, I had the bed on the window side, they gave me a respiratory type of machine where I had to blow in every hour, the staff was very nice, I had one neighbor in my room (well during the 4 days, I had 3 different patients sleeping on the other bed,  they all stayed only one night… I guess I had a huge surgery), I was able to rest, counting my blessings and reflect a lot, etc… The bad thing.. every 4 hours a staff is coming to see you, even during the night to take vital signs and giving you pills… well, I guess it was a good thing because they check on you to see you are alive… but, I didn’t want to stay because I didn’t really sleep a lot; I was resting a lot on my back, where I am not used to, but didn’t get a lot of sleep…. The second day they removed the “pee bag” off my body, so that it won’t get used to, let me tell you that the first time  you pee, it takes a few try, which I was told is normal. I was able to look at my stomach also when they removed the bandage, it was like a very low C section, they said that I will cure very quick and I had stapples that I will be able to have them removed a week later (16 little stapples in total). In the afternoon,  Dr Buckett took the time to come and see me in the afternoon, he sat with me and told me the procedure that was done and the results.

I pretty much had in total not 4 to 10 but 13 FIBROIDS all around my tummy area AND 2 CYSTES in the same ovary. It was a pretty long process, I lost a lot of blood but not enough to need blood transfusion. He also told me that I am very low in hemoglobin and I need to take more iron that he will prescribe for me.  He told me that I will be fine but really not to lift anything AT ALL, no work, bed rest for 6 weeks. I thanked him for everything because not many surgeons will take the time to see you AFTER you had your surgery done. I started  to walk in the evening to go to the restroom. On the third day, the morphine machine (aka “my best friend” as the nurses teased me with) and fluid bag was removed and they gave me a different pill for the pain. I told myself that I had to walk more.

On my 4rth day after surgery, or post-op, I was back home, the only thing I could do was laying on my back.. very little walking. I had my water, my prescriptions, I remember the first music that I heard playing on the radio at my house was Brandy “Right Here (Departed”, it made me smile and positive.

I didn’t took any pictures from the hospital. But, on my next blog,  I will show you a picture that one of my best friend took for me before going to the hospital and I will show you also the after pictures (probably 5 weeks post-op).

Leave comments or questions.



Miss Jhane

By missjhane

My name is Jeanica T aka Miss Jhane. I am a singer-songwriter-entrepreneur. I was born in Montreal, Canada and for the past few years, I have been living in New York City.

I always had a passion for meeting people and writing about different stories and songs. My goals are about making people feel what I see and what I'm going through, the injustice of this world is affecting me a lot.

I started writing for my high school newspaper, then for a Vibe Plus (Unistar) Magazine later for Belle Creole Magazine in Montreal. I also do Freelance PR.

So I hope that you enjoy my world and what I am reporting from it.

Life is a Blessing!

16 replies on “Myomectomy Surgery Journal: Post-surgery”

Hi Missjhane your journal has really inspired me thank you for your detailed story I have did so much researh on fibroids and read forums and blogs for about a month and this is my first time speaking out I will be having an AB 2/18 and very nervous. Thankyou for inspiring me to speak out.

You’re welcome.

Good luck with the surgery. Not worrying is the main thing and also afterward you have to eat healthy.

Good luck again and let me know how it went

Miss Jhane

Wow it was awesome to see before and after pics. no one shows those and i was most anxious to see them… Thank you so much… I have surgery on monday and i am just looking at it this way, all of the negative bad energy that i couldn’t release on my own…will be taken away and i have a new chance of learning this time around on how to be healthy…. thank you again.

Thanks for sharing your story! I’ve been referred by my fibroids specialist to have a myomectomy. Can you please tell me whether there was a long wait time between seeing Dr. Buckett and having the surgery? Thanks 🙂

If you go back to my first story I had to go through hell before finding Dr Buckett… but when they saw how serious my case was, I had my appointment within 3 months instead of 1 year waiting list as they originally planned for me.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! 🙂 I have an appointment with Dr. Buckett in two weeks, hopefully I’ll be able to get a surgery date pretty quickly. I’m very nervous as my doctor has explained I’ll most likely will have to get a vertical incision. Your story gave me renewed faith though, and I’m so pleased to see that you were happy with Dr. Buckett! 🙂

My myomectomy has been scheduled for Oct. 26, so a little less than three weeks from now… I too will be operated on by Dr. Buckett at the Royal-Vic… I can’t lie, I’m extremely nervous and afraid! Any words of advice?

Don’t be afraid. I remember being nervous, but I do believe everything comes from the inside. If you feel afraid, your inside will feel afraid, and then you might attract negativity… I do believe you’re in the right hands. Dr Buckett is an experienced Dr and also he knows his stuff. Just think of this as part of a journey you embracing. I never had a surgery before, and I don’t remember it at all since I was fully asleep. Just think that you will have the best nap of your life and you will start over.

I will advise you to only think about after, as your body will be in shock, think to take one day at a time and enjoy the fibroids free body you will have.

Hope this helps,

thanks for reading

Thank you so much for you wise words 🙂

Not to attract negative thinking, but how bad was the pain in the days and weeks following the myomectomy? I feel that the fear of the unknown is what’s stressing me out the most and I need to have an idea of what to expect following the surgery in order to get mentally ready 🙂

Thank you so much for you wise words

Not to attract negative thinking, but how bad was the pain in the days and weeks following the myomectomy? I feel that the fear of the unknown is what’s stressing me out the most and I need to have an idea of what to expect following the surgery in order to get mentally ready 🙂

well the first few days I was on drugs so I haven’t really felt any pain… it was just frustrating that I wasn’t able to use my stomach for the first month to get out of bed. I had to roll out of bed etc… I couldn’t go up and down because you want everything to cure properly… besides that I don’t remember having excruciating pain. My periods was “normal” which I never had that.. a 5 day period!! I think I put more on the subject on my following posts as well…

Just be prepared mentally that you won’t be able to do much for a little while… not even lift a laptop…

the worse for me is now… I still don’t use my stomach to do much, which is not good since it is the core of our body…

Let me know how it went!

Good luck

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.